Brexit – when will it happen and what will happen when it happens? There is no doubt about it, Brexit has been a hugely complicated and divisive issue. But no matter how you voted, the effect of Brexit will be wide. Whether there is a deal or no deal, if traveling into Europe, your car may require a Green Card.

Old Law – Possible new requirements



So, from 29th March 2019, if the UK leaves the EU without a deal UK drivers may need an International Driving Permit (IDP), as well as other documentation to drive within the EU.

The current arrangement with the EU is that British licences are valid within the EU but when the UK leaves, it may be the case that British licences will no longer be recognised as valid. British driving licences could therefore fall within the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic, meaning an IDP would need to be purchased, as is required when driving in certain countries outside of the EU.


What else will I need to do if driving in Europe Post-Brexit?

Nothing is yet clear but the following are likely to be necessary, and can be found in more detail on the UK Gov site.

  • Number plates – it is recommended that you display a GB sticker on the rear of your vehicle if you drive within the UK, even if you have the identifier on your number plate.
  • If there no deal, you should carry your vehicle registration documents with you when driving.
  • Again, if there is no deal a motor insurance Green Card will provide evidence of correctly held motor insurance for the vehicle – you will need to contact your insurance provider for a Green Card.

What if I live in the EU?

If you are a British National living within the EU and you hold a UK licence then you should consider an exchange of your UK licence for a local EU licence. It is recommended you do this before the 28th March 2019 because afterwards you may be required to pass a driving test in the EU country you live in!

What if I drive in the EU for work?

If you drive a goods vehicle then you will also need extra documentation when driving within the EU.

It is fairly lengthy and complicated – drivers will need documentation such as an IDP, CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) already required, UK drivers licence and a tachograph chart or vehicle smart card. But there will also be further documentation required for good vehicles and trailers, which would include a motor insurance green card and GB Sticker on the rear of the vehicle, as with all drivers.

And of course, the goods being transported with be subject to further documentation, not to be covered in this article.

You can read in more detail at the Gov website here. It is worth checking out if you drive commercially within the EU.

To conclude, it is clear that changes will be made affecting drivers driving within the EU. But it is not yet clear how far these changes will go and will certainly depend on the way in which the UK leaves the EU.

Watch this space…


Share This
Call Now Button