- Check the antifreeze in your car
- Check that the power steering and fluid levels are correct
- Ensure windscreen wipers are working and replace if necessary
- Keep windscreens clean inside and out to protect from the glare of the low morning and evening sun. NB – Driving with an empty bottle of screen wash or frozen contents is an offence
- Keep a proper scraper and de-icer in the car. Never use hot water on an icy windscreen as it will cause it to crack
- Check the lights for the dark night driving
- Check the condition of tyres, and replace them if necessary
- Get your battery checked. Batteries are the most common cause of breakdowns. It is best to visit your local garage to check the battery. It may need replacing
- One of the most important safety features of your car, especially in the winter weather, is the brakes so get the brake pads or linings looked at. Especially if there is a grinding or squealing sound
- Aircon – it may seem strange but you should keep it running over the winter in order to prolong the life of the system. It also removes excess moisture from the car interior
- Keep a breakdown kit in the car – a shovel for snow and muddy conditions, a torch, blankets, Hi-vis vests in case you break down on the side of the road, spare food and drink, de-icer and scraper, a fully charged mobile phone! Or even a pay as you go one kept only for emergencies
Winter has most definitely arrived. The morning frost on the windscreen, the freezing cold steering wheel. The colder weather brings harsher driving conditions and different issues for your car. So here is a rundown of the checks you can do yourself, or through your garage, in order to keep it running properly over the winter:
And always ensure you have a quarter tank of petrol in the car at all times – you never know when you might get stuck behind a jack-knifed lorry!
Try to do the checks weekly or fortnightly to ensure you get the best from your car over the winter. The ones you can’t do yourself can be done at your local garage as part of your car’s winter service. So get it booked in now to ensure you are winter road worthy.